Zona Arcade. Construye, Restaura y Decora tu Máquina Arcade y Pinball.

Weecade Mario Paper

« Older   Newer »
lapypool
view post Posted on 30/1/2012, 22:56     +1   -1

Hello everyone, here is my first thread to present you my project : a Weecade Mario Paper oriented. I'll be a little taller than the original Weecade (height is 10cm bigger).

Me : I live Bordeaux, France (yeah zone arcade is internacional baby !), I'm 34, got my first console at 4 years old, a Vectrex, and never stop playing since that day ! I'm a huge Apple addict (no one is perfect), and Nintendo to cause they're just doing the best games since the NES. Super Nes still my favorite console, even if I own a ps3/wii/xbox360...

I'm definitely not a handyman so pardon my futures approximations in this post...

The project :

In this thread I'll try to give you all the links/sources I grab everywhere to inspire me building a cab. Building this Weecade wouldn't be possible for me without reading a lot of forums and blogs, that's why I wanted to share my experience : if this thread can help at least one person, I'll be glad.

My weecade will be a little bigger than this one. Plans used : www.koenigs.dk/mame/WeeCade_plans_1.0.pdf To make it bigger I used a video projector to project the plan directly on the wood, like in this video (it's a must see if you're thinking make your) : http://vimeo.com/30660820 . I want to make it a little bigger than the original so I can put a 19" lcd monitor in it without problems, and play at 2 players comfortably. It'll be powered by a mini itx pc motherboard, running mostly Mame and Snes/PCEngine emulators.

Decoration : It should be based/inspired by "La máquina recreativa de Diviciacos dedicada a "Paper Mario" . But I'm in need of these artwork, megaupload links are dead for the reason you know, hope someone can hook me up with those files...
It'll be a mix between The Mystery Machine for the painting style with rays (but in blue) and the Paper Mario one.

My Weecade ingredients :

Wood : MDF 16mm (12mm is used for the original weecade, but I wanted something robust) backdoor and control panel will be smaller)
Control Panel : 4mm MDF
Screen : It'll be a 19" 4/3 lcd monitor
Pc with XP : www.msi.com/product/mb/E350IA-E45.html I chose an AMD based motherboard for his reasonable performance/price. 500go old hard drive.
Joystick button : 2 players, with 6 sanwa buttons per player + buttons for Insert coins, 1P/2P. I ordered them here : www.arcadeshop.de/
Minipaq : www.ultimarc.com/minipac.html
Speakers : www.lacie.com/fr/products/product.htm?id=10541
A scanline hardware generator trying to reproduce old tubes tv graphics : www.brunofreitas.com/?q=node/36
Frontend : Maximus (looks like dead !?) or Hyperspin. What are you guys using ? I know Maximus it's simple,

The firsts steps :

- Determine the size

Like I already said, I used a video projector to project the PDF plan on a giant paper, I tried to draw it at various size before finding the right one. Then I projected and drawdirectly on the MDF wood.

img2897x.th

- Wood cutting... did by myself then I gave the woof to a carpenter who finish the job. He cleaned irregularity.

img2898r.th img2899ic.th

Like you see there are four sides, because one of my friend is making his to, he's not a huge video game fan, but he build it for his 6 years son. He'll probably use a theme around Cars Pixar's movie, not sure yet. But get ready to see more pics of his weecade too, they'll be both strictly identical.

img2913p.th img2914k.th img2915w.th img2922l.th

Got the Minipaq today :

img2927a.th

While I was shopping in Leroy Merlin I find those plexi stuffs, in fact it's a very thin pexiglas that you can twist, I think I'll use it to protect the control panel stickers. It looks like this :

img2912j.th img2911v.th

artaxcc
view post Posted on 31/1/2012, 10:35     +1   -1

looks promising!

I'm especially interested how thin plexiglas works out for you :)

altairtoro
view post Posted on 9/2/2012, 16:44     +1   -1

muy hermoso el trabajo,muy limpio,a la espera de mas fotos,que es la unica forma de mi entender,felicidades.

2 replies since 30/1/2012, 22:56   1120 views